Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2016

The Return of Doctor Mysterio: A Humble Review

             



  Hello everyone! Did you guys have a good Christmas? Hopefully you did. What was your favorite thing about it? The presents? The food? The family?
                Concerning this question, I have a slight confession to make. Besides Christmas day being the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus, there's really only one other reason why I consider the best holiday: The Doctor Who Christmas special.
                Yes, I am a HUGE Whovian (not a Dweek, thankfully). Every Christmas morning I put on my "bow ties are cool" shirt, spend time with my family, and then prepare myself for whatever Moffat has to throw my way. The pain, the tears, the twists… every reason for me to love the show and in my opinion Moffat has been the best writer and producer the show has seen. But sadly, I know that every good thing comes to an end. Since Moffat is leaving after the next season, this will be the last we'll see of him in Doctor Who (though I'm not complaining completely, because maybe this will mean more Sherlock episodes xD).
                Since this is the beginning of the last of his episodes, I thought I would start with my show reviews with the recent Christmas episode. Since many of you probably haven't seen it yet, I'll keep the spoilers to a minimum.
                The show starts out with a slightly different feel than most of the previous episodes, probably because there was missing from the equation the Doctor and Companion chemistry that Clara Oswald gave us. Some of the fandom was hoping that this episode would introduce the new companion, but they left with a disappointed feeling when Pearl Mackie didn't make an appearance. Interesting enough, the feel wasn't completely off, as even in the beginning some of the older fans (or those who have watched some of the older series) probably sat back and realized it was starting to feel like the classic Doctor Who. There was multiple times in my opinion that Peter's acting resembled Tom Baker's Doctor, and at other times Patrick Troughton's. My favorite though, was when he pulled a couple of Christopher Eccleston's tricks, giving his snarky comments to Nordel (played by Matt Lucas), and to Dr. Sim (played by Aleksandar Jovanovic). 
                The bulk of the show happened to be the most interesting part to me. Sitting down to watch, I expected one of two things: something tearful and heartbreaking, or something completely stupid and wonderful. For some reason, I didn't feel either. It seemed to me that Moffat's original writing style changed. Previous episodes with Moffat always left you feeling bigger, stronger, and almost with a higher purpose (either that or he left you tears DX). This go around, it felt softer, almost as if Moffat were lifting his heavy hand away from the story writing. This is not to say that he did a half-hearted job, the show was still written well and ended well. It just felt, gentler, as if Moffat was slowly letting go.
                The storyline for the show itself also didn't feel canon. It was as if Moffat wasn't writing Doctor Who, but was writing fanficiton. Now, I love reading and writing fanfiction, so realizing this made me happy that even the great Moffat has something in common with the rest of us fanfiction writers. But, it also mad me sad. As a fellow writer, I can understand what Moffat might be feeling as he says goodbye to a story that he helped create, and fell head over heels in love with. it was a part of his life,  and letting go of something that close to you hurts like acid rain. I feel that this episode showed that. 
                Despite all of this, it ended with a touch of Moffat's greatness, as during the last few minutes Nordel explained to Grant and Lucy why he felt pain every time he saw the two together. I didn't get the twenty-four years reference at first, but the second time around it struck me. Looking into that glimpse of the past, old tears came back as they once did. Though the episode felt as if it would never end on a sadder note, Moffat struck again, just as he always did.
                I know this isn't the end just yet for his journey with the Doctor Who cast, but it's the beginning of it. Moffat has brought us happiness, joy, sadness, angst, and beautiful story writing to our families and homes. As we walk with him one more time as our Whovian leader, let's give him one last grand hurrah. Moffat, you touched the Doctor Who fandom in such a way that we will never forget. Always remember, that no matter how far you run, we'll always be here. As a Whovian, I wish you good luck.
                As a Sherlockian though, I welcome you home. Now that you are here, I can say….
                The game Mr. Moffat, is on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment